Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Table Talk Tuesday---Black Beans and Rice


photo credit: foodsogoodmall.com
Wow!!  You google images, 'black beans and rice' and who knew you would get a bazzilion hits!  I had no idea there were that many photos out there of black beans and rice.  Far be it for me to add another one, so I just used one that was already out there and looked like the ones I make.  I actually use the recipe from the Weight Watcher's Cookbook c 2006, and I change it up a little bit.

 3 cups black beans, cooked (I prefer to cook mine in the crock pot, see this post).
2 TBL oil
1 yellow or red pepper
1/2 onion
5 cloves of garlic
2 14 oz. cans of tomatoes
1 C vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder (or 1 jalapeno, finely chopped)
1 TBL finely chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in the frying pan.  Saute pepper, onion, and garlic until soft.  Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, and spices.  Add beans.  If they are too thick, add a little water.  Stir until desired consistency.  Add cilantro and salt and pepper.  Simmer for about 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.  Serve over rice, maybe with some avocado and lime juice.  Enjoy.

I like these a LOT!  I prefer them to the pinto bean recipe (link above) because of the spiciness.  But if I want the children to eat them, I make pinto beans.  They are not too fond of black beans, but I LOVE them.

Next Tuesday, I am going to post a recipe from my dear friend Linzy....black bean fudge!  Seriously!!  I have not made it yet, but I tried it and it is delicious and tastes like fudge without the marshmallow creme of the traditional fudge recipe.  I am particularly excited because Scuff is allergic to corn and this recipe doesn't have any in it!

So tune in next week for that recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!! I read them all and I know how to use the delete button. Please keep it kind.